by Caitlin Saniga
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 small red cabbage, cut into slender strips
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
Cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Set aside to drain and cool. Drain off all bacon fat except for 1 tablespoon.
Add the garlic and onion to the pan and saute over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook until wilted but still crunchy, about another minute. Remove the pan from heat.
Transfer the cabbage mixture to a salad bowl and toss with the wine vinegar, olive oil, thyme, almonds, cherries and crumbled bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Recipe adapted from: Just Best Recipes