by Caitlin Saniga
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (Try a combination of parsley, cilantro and basil.)
- 3 cups prepared black rice (or another rice of your choice)
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Pulverize the walnuts and garlic in a food processor, then add the vinegar, oil and 3 to 4 tablespoons water, enough to make a smooth dressing. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in half of the scallions and herbs.
Divide the rice between four dishes. Top each serving of rice with beans and pour a bit of dressing over each. Finish with a sprinkling of herbs and scallions. If not serving immediately, mix all of the herbs into the dressing to allow the flavors to meld and store the rice, beans and dressing in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone