by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- salt and pepper to taste
- a dash or two of cayenne
- 2 cups spinach, julienned
- 12 kalamata olives sliced thinly, lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 French baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups hummus (Try my version or Sarah’s version!)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne to make a vinaigrette. In a medium bowl, toss together the spinach, olives and vinaigrette until lightly coated. Set aside.
Slice the garlic clove in half, and rub it along the cut side of each slice of baguette. Brush each slice lightly with olive oil. Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake until crispy and golden, 5-6 minutes.
Divide the hummus between the baguette slices, then do the same with the slaw. Serve immediately.
*There are so many reasons to entertain in spring — the Kentucky Derby, Mother’s and Father’s Day, graduations, and so forth — that it’s nice to have simple, fresh bites on hand. This May, we’re offering veggie, meat and dessert crostini recipes, all of which can be found here.