Meatless Monday resolutions
January 6, 2014 by SoHungryBlog
It’s the first Meatless Monday of 2014!
Going meatless one day a week is a great resolution to make, and it can lead to many other great changes such as losing weight, helping the environment and reducing your risk for diseases. But change can be tough, so we wanted to help by offering some of our favorite meatless winter meals — each of which we tied to a resolution.
1. Resolve to start off on the right foot: Pumpkin spice oatmeal
New beginnings call for good decisions. The easiest route? A healthy breakfast to start out your day.
2. Resolve to live brightly: Curried sweet potato soup with cilantro, lime and peanuts
Don’t let the cold weather of the new year bring you down! Brightness, like the flavors and colors of this soup, can get you through the short daylight hours.
3. Resolve to reuse and recycle: Homemade vegetable stock
Don’t throw away what can be made into something new (and delicious)! Just because it’s a little old doesn’t mean it can’t be brought back to life.
4. Resolve to respect the classics: Red beans and walnut-herb sauce over black rice
You can’t argue with the tried and true, so embrace it! And maybe even give it your own, special twist.
5. Resolve to let go of perfection: Kale, sweet potato, farro and pomegranate salad
Mix it up a bit! Life – like a good meal – does not always have to have a flawless presentation. Go ahead, throw it on the plate and enjoy.
6. Resolve to allow positive transformations: Wilted spinach salad with sun-dried tomatoes and baby bella mushrooms
If you have to change something, then change it for the better! (Really — aren’t sun-dried tomatoes one of the greatest food transformations ever? Be your own tomato!)
7. Resolve to appreciate the little things: Mini quinoa and black bean patties
It’s easy to skip over the smaller things in life, but try taking note of them. It nearly doubles your enjoyment!
8. Resolve to try the unusual: Warm broccoli, orange and olive salad
It may not be your idea of the perfect pairing, but why not allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised? Even if it doesn’t become your favorite, you still tried something new.
9. Resolve to add a little spice to your life: Spicy black bean soup
It’s easy to get into a routine and get comfortable, so add a dash of excitement every once in a while!
10. Resolve not to feel guilty: Garlicky roasted chickpeas with feta and mint
At the end of the day, know what you love, don’t apologize (even if you have garlic breath) and let it flow easily.
Good luck on all your resolutions!
—Sarah & Caitlin
*For more Meatless Monday recipes for any time of year, click here.