by Caitlin Saniga
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 long loaf sourdough or Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced finely
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
Turn on the broiler to low. Place an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler.
Combine the oil, oregano, pepper flakes and a dash of salt and pepper in a small dish. Brush one side of each slice of bread with some of the flavored oil. Top with tomato slices.
Use a pizza cutter or a flat-edge knife to cut the Muenster cheese into skinny strips. Arrange the cheese strips over the tomatoes.
Place sandwiches on an ungreased baking sheet and move the try to the oven rack. Let sit under the broiler about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush any remaining flavored oil over the cheese. Return the tray to the oven and let cook about 1 minute, until cheese starts to get bubbly and golden. Serve warm.
Makes about 12 sandwiches. (Depends on the size of the loaf of bread.)
Recipe adapted from: Food Network Magazine
Photo: Caitlin Saniga