by Sarah Steimer
For the cakes
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini or nut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup finely grated sweet potato
- 1/2 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (I used a little less – they can be overly salty for my taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons feta (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Combine egg, flour, tahini and vinegar in a bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients and mash together until texture is firm enough to shape into cakes.
Shape into about 1/4-cup patties with floured hands. Bake at 400 degrees on a greased baking sheet (or try parchment paper) for about 25 minutes, turning once, until the patties are crisp.
Makes about 6-7 patties. Serve with the red pepper sauce.
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red pepper, drained
- 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or a blender. Makes 2 1/2 cups (I split this recipe in half).
Recipes: Vegetarian Times
Photo: Sarah Steimer