by Sarah Steimer
- 4 large or 5 small ears of corn, kernels removed and cobs reserved
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed, plus 3 cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced leeks
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (I used dry red wine)
- 12 ounces peeled sweet potatoes, cut into a medium dice
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Combine kernels, milk and crushed garlic in a saucepan. Run the back of a knife down the cobs to release milk and pulp into the saucepan, then add as many cobs as will fit in the pan. Bring to a boil. Remove the pan from heat and let steep.
Heat butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat (I’m sure a good, sturdy pot with a tight-fitting lid would work well, too). Add the leeks, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally. Add minced garlic and
paprika, cook for 30 seconds. Stir in sherry (or wine), cook 30 seconds. Add 4 cups water, remove pot from heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and saute for 8 minutes, or until browned; transfer to the Dutch oven. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet, add gren beans and saute for about 3 minutes. Transfer beans to plate.
Bring mixture in Dutch oven to a boil, reduce heat to medium0low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add green beans and cook for 4 minutes m ore.
Discard corn cobs from the milk mixture and stir the mixture, along with 1 tablespoon cilantro, into the Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with remaining cilantro.
Serves about six.
Recipe: Vegetarian Times
Photos: Sarah Steimer