by Caitlin Saniga
- 1 medium sweet, yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound broccoli, just crowns, chopped into small florets
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups prepared brown rice
In a small pan, saute the onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat until they are golden-brown and transparent.
In a medium pot, create a roux by melting the remaining butter and flour and whisking over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until it turns golden (not brown!).
Slowly whisk in the half-and-half and chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the broccoli, onions and garlic, and cook over low heat until the broccoli is tender, about 6 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and allspice. Add the cheese and stir until it is incorporated.
Before serving, add a scoop of rice to each bowl of soup.
Makes 6 servings.