by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 pitted kalamata olives, cut into slivers
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 1 orange, peeled, divided into sections
Cut the orange sections into 3 slivers lengthwise. Prepare an ice-water bath. Set aside. Place the broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and cook until tender, 5-7 minutes. Plunge the broccoli into the ice-water bath. Drain and pat the florets dry.
Heat the olive oil in a wide sauté pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli, salt and pepper, and cook about 6 minutes, or until the broccoli is still crisp-tender but has begun to brown. Stir in the olives and oranges, and cook until they’re heated. Stir in the orange zest. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.