by Sarah Steimer
- corned beef brisket, with spices
- rye or marble rye bread
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup or so ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dill pickle relish (I just added a little dried dill instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all sauce ingredients and let sit overnight.
Cook the corned beef brisket in a crock pot with enough water to come about halfway up the brisket. Cook on low for 5-7 hours, depending on the size of your brisket. It will shrink to about half of its size. Let the brisket rest before cutting it. Remove the fat on the outside of the meat and cut, going against the grain, into about 1/2 inch-wide slices.
Lightly toast the rye bread before assembling the sandwich. Top the corned beef with a handful of sauerkraut and a nice schmear of the sauce (which, yes, is just a homemade Thousand Island dressing).
Makes about four sandwiches – or more, depending on the size of the brisket.
Sauce recipe adapted from: Food.com