by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets (from 2 heads of broccoli)
- 8 mini bell peppers, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound fresh spinach tortellini
- 1 ear of corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli, peppers, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
In the meantime, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the corn, and cook for 3 minutes, or until kernels pop readily when pricked with a fork.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Add the broth, water and tortellini. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the corn, and continue to cook 2-4 minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed.
Fold in the parsley and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Real Simple