by Caitlin Saniga
For the meatballs:
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. To make the meatballs, use your hands to combine all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until just incorporated. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 20 minutes or until golden and cooked all the way through.
In the meantime, combine the ketchup, syrup, soy sauce, tapioca, allspice and mustard in the bowl of a large slow cooker. Stir the mixture together. Carefully add the pineapple chunks and meatballs, coating them in the sauce.
Cover the slow cooker with a lid, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Serve with toothpicks.
Makes about 24 meatballs.