by Sarah Steimer
- 2 slices vegetarian fake bacon (can use real bacon for a non-Meatless Monday option)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 medium or large heirloom tomatoes, sliced crosswise about 1/2-inch thick (I also threw in a few grape and cherry tomatoes)
- salt and pepper
- basil, arugula or watercress for topping
Cook the bacon until crisp. Drain, cool and finely chop. Mix the bacon with the cheese and flour. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, divide the bacon0cheese mixture into four mounds and flatten in to 3 1/2-inch rounds. Bake at 375 degress until golden and the cheese melts, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the oven when done and allow the crisps to cool for about 5 minutes on the pan before transferring them (carefully) to a paper towel to finish cooling.
To make the dressing, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
Arrange the tomatoes on a platter, adding salt and pepper to each layer and some of the dressing (I did not use all of the dressing). Top the dish with whichever greens you choose. Crumble the crisps over the top and serve. Tip: If you do not plan on eating the entire salad in one sitting, set aside some of the crisps so they do not get soggy staying in the dish.
Makes four servings.
Recipe adapted from: Food Network Magazine