by Caitlin Saniga
- 7 medium beets, peeled and sliced thinly
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and trimmed
- 1 spring rosemary
- 1/2 quart heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slices
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- rosemary sprigs, for garnish, optional
Place the beets in a pot withe garlic and rosemary. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beets are tender, about 6 minutes.
Strain the beets and garlic and set aside the liquid. Discard the rosemary. Place the beets and garlic in a food processor and puree, adding the reserved liquid a little at a time until it is almost soup consistency. Add the cream, honey, vinegar and orange zest and pulse. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
Serve chilled and garnish with toasted almonds, oranges, feta and rosemary sprigs.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted form: 202 Market recipe in The Roanoke Times