by Sarah Steimer
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced peeled ginger
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 russet potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed well
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (packed) spinach leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- nonfat Greek-style yogurt (optional)
Heat a few drops of olive oil in a dutch oven or a heavy (large) pot over medium heat. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly golden. Add the garlic and ginger, stirring constantly for about one minute.
Add the broth, potatoes, carrots and lentils. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender; about 15-20 minutes.
Stir in the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit