Meatless Monday: Indian lentil-sweet potato stew with basmati rice
November 19, 2012 by SoHungryBlog
by Caitlin Saniga
This stew is hearty and smells warm and wonderful. It’s food that will make you feel cozy.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 bag (9 ounces) fresh spinach
Prepare basmati rice as label directs.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Stir in the ginger, curry, cinnamon and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add water, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, broth and salt. Heat to boiling.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach; heat through. Serve the stew over rice.