by Caitlin Saniga and Sarah Steimer
Allow us to revel in some accomplishments before we step into a new year.
In 2012, we’ve published 249 posts, including 222 recipes, with:
- 120 main dishes,
- 71 side dishes,
- 43 snacks,
- 43 desserts,
- 9 drinks,
- and 2 dog-friendly recipes
*Note: Some recipes straddle two or three categories.
Our 10 most popular posts of the year were the following recipes:
- Roasted sweet potato with Brussels sprouts, blue cheese, cranberries and pecans
- Cathedral windows
- Fortune cookies
- Fresh honey lemonade
- Slow cooker maple-glazed meatballs with pineapple
- BLT muffins
- Cream cheese balish
- Sweet potato pancakes
- Broccoli-cheddar soup with rice
- Pecan pie
The most popular search term used to find our site was “stained glass cookies marshmallows,” followed by “wine pairing” and of course “So Hungry I Could Blog.”
Caitlin’s 3 favorite recipes:
- Panzanella with pickled red onions
- Kimchi and pork fried dumplings
- Wilted spinach salad with sun-dried tomatoes and baby bella mushrooms
Sarah’s 3 favorite recipes:
- Autumn enchiladas with chicken
- Baked Alaska
- Baked salmon and Brussels sprouts over a parsnip and sweet potato puree
We’ve been causing a splash over on Facebook, too. Our most popular post:
On Twitter, our flock of followers has grown to 204, including notables such as Bonnie Benwick of the Washington Post, L.A. Times Food, Healthy Living magazine, Slow Food U.S.A. and Meatless Monday. Won’t you follow us, too?
We tried to track down our most-pinned recipe of 2012 on Pinterest, but it proved to be an impossible task. Just know that lots of people dig our recipes on Pinterest, and maybe you would, too.
We started the $6 Snack series, which features food reviews based on a $6 price limit, in 2010, but we greatly expanded our reach this year.
Of our 222 recipes in 2012, 36 of them made Tastespotting.
We were pleasantly surprised to receive emails from writers at the Huffington Post, requesting permission to use a couple of our photos and link to our blog. This was a first for us, and it made us feel like other people are noticing that we’re passionate about what we do on the blog.
We kept busy with guides for each month of the year:
- January: Warm and Buzzy, with 4 recipes for hot alcoholic beverages
- February: Fond of You, featuring 4 recipes for savory fondues
- March: Lookin’ Hot, Cakes, with 4 deluxe pancake recipes
- April: Spring Cleaning, our special 4-part guide on whipping your kitchen into shape
- May: Alfresco Refreshed, with picnic ideas for burgers, potato salad, fruit salad and iced tea
- June: Presto, featuring 4 recipes for quick and easy pesto
- July: Power Trio, with 4 recipes featuring the classic combo of bacon, leafy greens and tomato
- August: Lickety Split, a guide to quick pickling with 6 recipes
- September: Dynamic Duo, our nod to peanut butter and jelly, with 5 recipes
- October: Want One?, a collection of 4 savory and 2 sweet wonton variations
- November: Thanksgiving pies, with our takes on 4 classic pies
- December: Crunch Time, with 4 recipes for biscotti
We reached and surpassed several big milestones on the blog: 100 followers, 500 posts, and 1,000 likes on posts. Our most recent tallies are: 155 followers and 600 posts. The current number of likes proved harder to determine.
New things we tried: recipes for four-legged friends, wine and chocolate pairings, expanded Oktoberfest reviews. We also checked out the food scene in a few new cities (New York City and Santa Fe, N.M., for example), and now offer themed recipe and tip collections on Storify.
Thanks for sticking with us in 2012. We think it’s been a great year! Hang on with us in 2013, and we promise to share more of our favorite recipes, reviews and tricks (and hopefully a few of yours, too)!