by Sarah Steimer
- 2 pounds medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-2inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (I used flat-leaf parsley and tarragon)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- optional: 1 tablespoon finely shredded Parmesan (leave out to make vegan)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
Toss parsnips with 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Arrange parsnips in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender and lightly caramelized, 22-25 minutes.
Combine walnuts, herbs, garlic and Parmesan in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and lemon juice and pulse to combine. Season pesto with salt and pepper to taste.
Let parsnips cool slightly before transferring to a blender. Add stock and puree until smooth. Pour soup into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper and divide among bowls. Drizzle with pesto and a little olive oil and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit