by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped into 1/2-inche pieces
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups roughly crushed corn flakes cereal
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, season with salt, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and cook until somewhat tender, about 12 minutes. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Combine the potatoes, 1/2 cup melted butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the onion, soup, sour cream and cheese, and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
Place the corn flakes in a medium bowl and drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the corn flake topping over the potato mixture, using a spatula to distribute evenly, if necessary.
Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Grandma Janis