by Sarah Steimer
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 4-ounce can diced mild green chiles
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño, with seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans
- 2 cups vegetable stock
Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large pot. Add the onion, chiles, garlic, jalapeño and cumin. Sauté until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Puree about three cups of the soup in a blender and return to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with tortilla chips and salsa.
Makes four servings.
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit