by Caitlin Saniga
- 18 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed, chopped into 1-inch lengths
- 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 14 chives, cut into 1-inch lengths
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees with a rack in the center. Place the tomatoes, cut-side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until they start to dry out and the edges have shriveled, about 1 hour.
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir in the barley. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to a large bowl.
Cover a large pot of water, and bring to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath. Blanch the asparagus until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer immediately to the ice-water bath to cool. Strain; set aside.
Add the asparagus chickpeas and the chives to the barley. Pour on the dressing, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
In a blender, combine the lemon juice, pepper, feta and 3 tablespoons olive oil until creamy. Sprinkle the tomatoes over top. Serve with lemon wedges.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe adapted from: The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics