by Sarah Steimer
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar (I substituted apple cider vinegar — I always forget something at the grocery store)
- 1/3 cup hot chili paste (I’ve seen a lot of places carry this)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons finely grated and peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1- or 1 1/2-inch pieces (I actually used chicken breast, because I had it on hand, but I think it ended up a bit drier than chicken thighs would have)
Soak eight bamboo skewers in water for at least one hour.
Whisk together the brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, Sriracha and ginger. Toss the chicken pieces in the sauce and place on the skewers.
Place the sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer to thickened and reduced, about 7-10 minutes.
Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken, turning and basting with the reduced sauce often. Grill for about 8-10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit
*It’s the heart of summertime, and it’s just way too hot to stay in the kitchen. We’re cooking outdoors this month by grilling up kebabs — all of which can be found here.