by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 large ears of corn
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- zest and juice of 2 large limes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the corn for 2 minutes, then remove it and set aside to cool. Add the black-eyed peas, lower the heat, and simmer until tender, about 35 or 40 minutes, then drain.
Meanwhile, in a second pot, cook the barley in water to cover with 1/2 teaspoon salt until tender but chewy, about 40 minutes.
Shave the kernels off both ears of corn. Add the corn, black-eyed peas, barley, parsley and onion to a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime zest and juice, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour it over the salad. Gently toss the salad to combine.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone