by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes, about 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro
- 1 cup curry-lime roasted peanuts
- lime wedges for garnish
Warm the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, and saute until translucent and golden brown on the edges, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sweet potato. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add the spices, and mix well.
Add the vegetable stock and peanut butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
Work in batches to puree the soup with an immersion blender, countertop blender or food processor. Return the soup to its pot, and stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve warm with cilantro, peanuts and limes to squeeze into the soup.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Dishing up the Dirt