by Sarah Steimer
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic glove, minced or grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch kale, center stems discarded
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts (I used about a couple of large handfuls)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheese such as Parmesan or Pecorino
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon, shallot, garlic salt and pepper. Set aside.
Cut the leaves of the kale into thin slices and place in a large bowl. Trim the Brussels sprouts and remove outer leaves. Halve the Brussels lengthwise and thinly slice the halves. Add to the bowl with the kale and toss.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a small skillet. Add the almonds to the skillet and stir frequently while cooking over medium-high heat until the nuts are golden brown in spots. Transfer the nuts to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Slowly whisk the remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to the lemon-Dijon mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss the kale and Brussels mixture with the Dijon dressing. Serve topped with the almonds and grated cheese.
Makes 2-4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit