by Caitlin Saniga
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearled barley, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Prepare the barley according to package directions.
Steam the broccoli florets until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Once cool, chop them and combine with the barley, chickpeas, scallions, parsley and pine nuts.
In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, mustard, honey, lemon zest and juice. Slowly add the oil, whisking to emulsify, and season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle the broccoli mixture with dressing, and adjust the seasoning.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Whole Living