by Sarah Steimer
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup skim milk (or any other regular or nondairy milk)
- 1/2 pound pasta
- Parmesan, for topping (optional)
Heat a medium pot over medium heat; add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallot and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots and garlic are softened and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the sweet potato, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to the pot. Let cook for about 30 seconds. Add the water and milk; bring to a simmer. Cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 8-10 minutes.
Cook the pasta according to package directions.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until velvety smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Serve the puree immediately over the pasta. Top with Parmesan and additional crushed red pepper, if desired.