by Sarah Steimer
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- florets from 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded if you’d prefer less heat
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup milk (I used skim, but any would do)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallot and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, broccoli, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes
Add the red wine vinegar, jalapeno/serrano, watercress and lemon. Transfer half the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Move the pureed soup to another bowl and puree the remaining soup from the pot. Return all pureed soup to the pot or Dutch oven.
Stir in the milk and quinoa and heat for another 2 minutes. Serve topped with grated Parmesan and nuts.
Makes about 4-6 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Natural Health