by Sarah Steimer
- 5 cups rice square cereal
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoons peppermint extract
- green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (or more) powdered sugar
Place 2 1/2 cups of the cereal in a medium bowl and the other 2 1/2 cups in a second bowl.
Melt the chocolate chips and add to one bowl of cereal. Toss to coat. Place in a freezer bag with 1/4 cup of the powered sugar and shake to coat. Add more powered sugar if necessary.
Melt the white chocolate and stir in the peppermint extract, food coloring and vegetable oil (which keeps the chocolate from seizing). Add the white chocolate to the other bowl of cereal and toss to coat. Place the mixture in another freezer bag with the remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and toss. Add more powered sugar if necessary.
Combine the two mixtures and serve.
Makes 5 cups puppy chow.
* Call them muddy buddies, puppy chow or something else entirely — these crunchy cereal mixes are sweet. And February is Chow Time.