by Caitlin Saniga
- 1/2 cup uncooked red rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 3 large carrots, chopped into short matchsticks
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
Prepare the red rice according to package directions. (I cooked the rice with a bit of salt in a cup of water for about 50 minutes. It takes awhile.)
When there’s about 5 minutes of cook time left for the rice, heat a wok over medium-high heat and add the oils, vinegar and soy sauce. When that’s hot, add the red cabbage, carrots and garlic. Toss to coat, and cook 2-3 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat, taste, and adjust seasonings, adding salt if necessary.
Toss the vegetables with the rice, and stir in the sesame seeds. Top with green onions, and serve warm.
Makes 4 sides, or 2 big bowls.