by Sarah Steimer
For the savory granola:
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten to blend
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Toss the oats, walnuts, sesame seeds, almonds, salt, cayenne pepper, egg white, oil and agave in a medium bowl. Transfer the mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing once, until golden. Let cool.
For the salad:
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 head kale, ribs removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into ribbons
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 lemon
In a medium-large bowl, whisk together the shallot, mustard, olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Add the kale and sun-dried tomatoes to the bowl and use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale for about 1 minute. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
Serve the salad topped with the diced avocado and savory granola. Drizzle with the lemon.
Makes 2 servings as a main or 4 servings as a side.
Granola recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit