by Caitlin Saniga
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large carrots, thinly sliced on mandoline
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion, and saute until the onion is translucent and tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice, dill and walnuts in a food processor. With the processor running, slowly add the oil, and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Use a knife to swirl in the pesto.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Epicurious