by Caitlin Saniga
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon honey, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage, from 1 small head
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 avocados, peeled, pit removed, and sliced
Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl. Taste, and adjust seasonings accordingly.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath. Place the ears of corn, breaking them in have if necessary, in the water, and cook for 1 minute. Immediately transfer the ears of corn to the ice bath to halt the cooking process. Gently shake the corn dry. Use a flat-edge knife to shave the kernels off the cob. Reserve the kernels, and discard the cobs.
Combine the cabbage and cilantro in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over top. Toss to coat.
Divide the slaw among four plates or bowls. Top with slices of avocado and corn. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.