by Sarah Steimer
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 or 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pitted black olives
- 2 cups packed arugula
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs (I used basil, but parsley and/or oregano would be great as well)
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide stripes
Bring garlic and oil just to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden brown and soft, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Strain the garlic from the oil and set both the oil and cloves aside.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Toss chicken with a tablespoon of garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for about 5 minutes. Slice the chicken on a diagonal.
Puree 4 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup of garlic oil and mustard in a blender; season with salt and pepper.
Place the remaining garlic cloves, olives, red peppers, arugula and herbs in a large bowl. Spoon about 1 tablespoon or so of the dressing over the salad and toss.
Serve the salads topped with the grilled chicken and remaining dressing.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit