by Sarah Steimer
1. Hello, dear! Skyscrapers and neon lights have their charm, but sometimes a long weekend in the mountains is really what the body and soul need. Enter: Four perfect days in Boulder, Colorado.
2. Cocktails at the Bitter Bar. This town loves its happy hour specials, and we were happy to indulge. We kicked back at the Bitter Bar for happy hour and beyond our first evening, munching on some free popcorn and trying a few drinks. Pictured here are Kiss the Sky (gin, Domaine de Canton, lavender and lemon) and the Silver Coin (agave tequila, triple sec and lime).
3. A little more beauty along the Boulder Creek (this creek moves a heck of a lot faster than the creeks I know).
4. The hand-painted ceiling of the Boulder Dushanbe Tea House. Boulder’s sister city of Dushanbe, Tajikistan, sent numerous decorative items to set up this tea house in Colorado — including this gorgeous ceiling. The building and grounds are pretty stunning, and the tea list is enormous. Although we didn’t eat there, the tea house does serve food.
5. The Monet’s Martini at Shine was probably the most complicated drink I’ve ever had — but it went down easy. I couldn’t find the ingredient list online, but this cocktail and others on the menu include a “Shine Potion” consisting of herbs, juices and more.
6. One of my favorite views, from the Dakota Ridge trail.
7. Boulder has one of the best farmer’s markets I’ve ever seen. We had breakfast Saturday morning at the market, which in this case consisted of a savory Vietnamese breakfast crepe, pork egg rolls and a Thai iced coffee from the Savory Saigon booth. This was actually one of two breakfast crepes we had on the trip, the second being the Fool’s Gold at Foolish Craig’s — which was unbelievably good.
8. Beets at the Boulder farmer’s market. For whatever reason, I wound up eating beets on each day of our trip. I’m pretty much exclusively into mountains and beets now.
9. An appetizer at Salt: harissa-marinated grilled octopus with kimchi, pickled cucumbers and carrots, white bean puree, and arugula.
10. The happiest Sarah you ever did see!