by Sarah Steimer
For the salsa garnish:
- 5 small or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finley diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Toss and set aside.
For the chickpeas:
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, finely diced
- 1/2 inch ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Once hot, add the onions and ginger and cook over medium heat until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala. Cook for an additional minute.
Add the chickpeas, 1 cup of water, lime juice and season with salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Adjust for salt.
Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with the salsa garnish.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Recipe from: Local Flavors by Deborah Madison