by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 pounds tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 thick slices of sourdough bread, toasted to golden-brown
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- pepper, to taste
- 3 scallions, finely chopped, for garnish
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, toasted bread, sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add up to a cup of water until the desired consistency is achieved. Twist a few grinds of fresh black pepper, and blend once more. Taste, and adjust seasonings as you see fit.
Serve chilled in bowls, and garnish with chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
Recipe adapted from: nytimes.com