by Sarah Steimer
- 1 14-ounce package form tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/2 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts, divided
- rice, for serving
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1/4 cup chopped salted, roasted peanuts
- small handful fresh mint and basil leaves
- lime wedges, for serving
Place the tofu between several layers of paper towel and press gently to squeeze out liquid. Transfer the tofu to a baking dish.
Whisk together the jalapeno, soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger in a small bowl. Pour over the tofu and toss to coat. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
Before serving, heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium0high heat and add 1 cup bean sprouts. Cook without stirring until charred, about 3 minutes, and season with salt.
Distribute the tofu over two bowls of rice and top with the charred and raw bean sprouts, scallion, peanuts and herbs. Serve with the lime wedges.
Makes 2 servings
Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit