by Sarah Steimer
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch disks
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, quartered
- 2-3 cloves garlic, smashed but kept whole
- 3 large tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 small handful assorted herbs, stems removed and roughly chopped (By vegetable broth was seasoned with herbs, so I skipped this step. Basil, thyme and oregano would be great choices!)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place the carrots, onion (can shake out some of the layers), garlic and tomatoes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast the vegetables for about 30-35 minutes, or until all the veggies are easily pierced with a fork.
Transfer everything from the pan, including the juices, to a medium-large pot or Dutch oven. Add the vegetable broth, water and herbs. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft.
Use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a standing blender. Blend until smooth and return to the pot. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve with grilled cheese.
Makes about 4 servings.