by Sarah Steimer
- 3 cups all-purpose flour OR 2 2/3 cups whole-wheat flour (I went with wheat flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup finely diced apples (peeled)
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (video below)
Combine flour, baking powder, sugars, cinnamon and cloves.
Mix the melted butter with the applesauce, eggs and milk. Add the wet mixture to the dry, along with the apples and pomegranate. Mix all ingredients until just combined.
Pour mixture into two greased 9-by-5-inch bread tins or four mini loaf tins (mine are minis).
Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
The loaves can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, or in the freezer for about a month.
Makes two 9-by-5-inch loaves or four mini loaves.
Recipe adapted from: Kirbie’s Cravings
And – check this out – Caitlin made a lovely how-to video for prepping pomegranates: