by Sarah Steimer
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves OR 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Combine the squash, raisins, dates, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, cloves, salt and 1 cup water in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered for 8-10 minutes.
Remove the lid and cook, stirring, until the squash is tender and liquid is almost entirely absorbed, another 8-10 minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks and whole cloves (or transfer to a cup of tea or hot tea — look! Recycling!). Stir in the lemon zest.
Makes about 4 cups.
Recipe from: Bon Appetit