by Sarah Steimer
Posts Tagged ‘root vegetables’
Posted in Recipes, Side dishes, tagged brussels sprouts, carrots, fingerling potatoes, food, maple syrup, miso, miso paste, recipe, rice vinegar, root vegetables, Sarah Steimer, SoHungryBlog, soy sauce, sweet potato, vegetables on February 25, 2014 | 3 Comments »
by Caitlin Saniga
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peel scrubbed, and chopped into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 medium butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and chopped into 2-inch planks
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 large lemon
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the vegetables in just enough oil to coat. Arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Grind fresh salt and pepper over top to taste. Roast for 20 minutes, then flip the vegetables. Cook an additional 10 minutes, or until everything’s golden brown and tender.
Meanwhile, prepare the chermoula by placing all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
Pulse until smooth, take a taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Serve the vegetables hot with fresh chermoula drizzle over top.
Makes 4-6 side dish servings.
Recipe adapted from: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Posted in Main dishes, Recipes, tagged carrot, food, onion, oregano, parsnip, recipe, root vegetables, rosemary, Sarah Steimer, SoHungryBlog, soup, sun-dried tomatoes, vegetable broth, winter on January 27, 2012 | Leave a Comment »
by Sarah Steimer
- olive oil
- 4 large or 6 smaller parsnips (4 cups) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 medium-sized carrots (2 cups) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion (1 cup) diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
Heat oil in a dutch oven or sturdy pot over medium-high heat. Add parsnips, carrots and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ad 3/4 cup broth and cook for 10 minutes, or until the broth is evaporated. Add the remaining 5 1/4 cups broth, along with 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oregano and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a brisk boil. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
Puree in a blender or food processor a few cups at a time until smooth.
Add remaining chopped tomatoes. Serve immediately, drizzled with balsamic vinegar if desired and served with a crusty bread. We had it with a great whole-wheat baguette.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe adapted from: Vegetarian Times