by Sarah Steimer
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced small
- 1 medium-large carrot, diced small
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 3 tablespoons curry paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- rice or naan, for serving
Heat a medium pot or Dutch oven and add the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic, cooking over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, stock, tomato paste, coriander, curry paste, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and easily pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes.
Add the frozen peas and cook until the peas are thawed, another 3-4 minutes. Taste the curry and adjust the amount of curry paste, salt and pepper, if necessary.
Serve with the rice or naan and topped with crushed red pepper (optional).
Makes about 2-3 servings.